Plastic consumption and waste are huge problems for our time. It’s almost unbelievable to think how over-dependent our society has become on this toxic and insidious ‘convenience product’.
A Good Scout is passionate about supporting people with their Zero Waste Goals.
What choices do we have?
Let’s opt for natural fibres, such as cotton or bamboo, instead of plastic. Seek out materials that either decompose, biodegrade or breakdown much faster than plastic. Stainless steel options are a far better choice than plastic and a great environmental performer because they are robust, generally lasting longer, and can be recycled.
Here's your guide to Plastic Free Living, in style with our bestselling plastic alternatives and products we LOVE!
1. Market Bags & Produce Bags – We LOVE the timeless Macramé Bag from Indi & Ocea, perfect for everyday use, handmade in Vietnam using pure cotton. Another FAVE is the super cool Market Tote from Khaki Carriers, super soft, 100% cotton on point eco-carriers for the everyday. Be kind to the earth without compromising on style with these gorgeous bags. Both styles are beautifully made and super stylish. Tread Lightly have introduced a gorgeous, organic cotton mesh produce bag. Never before have your vegetables looked this good.
2. Toothbrushes - Every year, around 30 million toothbrushes get thrown away in Australia. Can you get your head around that statistic? It’s alarming. A tip to consider when buying a bamboo toothbrush is check that the bristles are made from Nylon 4 – as this is biodegradable. We have two biodegradable toothbrushes, both made from bamboo with Nylon 4 bristles available at A Good Scout. I’ve made the switch over to biodegradable bamboo toothbrushes and will NEVER go back to plastic. Recently I’ve been using Indi & Ocea’s Bamboo Charcoal Infused Bristle Toothbrush, which seems to be lasting much longer than other plastic ones I’ve used in the past, bonus! Tread Lightly also do a gorgeous biodegradable Bamboo Toothbrush – which you can select with either white or black bristles. An earth-friendly addition to your toiletry bag. My suggestion is to stock up on these babies, which are at a very low price point. Buy in bulk so you don’t have to buy again for a long time (less shipping – even more eco) and take advantage of our free shipping on orders over $100 Aus Wide. Something to consider.
3. Water Bottle & Keep Cups. Yep, gone are the days of looking cool with your plastic Evian bottle...So 30 years ago! Did you know that only 10% of all plastic is recycled? An alarming statistic and a good reason right now to say NO to bottled water. The Ocea 500ml Stainless Steel Water Bottles are made from the best quality double insulated stainless steel. Designed to keep your water cold for 24 hours or warm for 12 hours. Perfect if you like to sip tea all day on the go.
We LOVE the colourful range of Perky By Nature Bamboo Biodegradable Coffee Keep Cups, that are guaranteed to brighten your day! Made from a unique blend of fibre, corn fibre and natural resin, enjoy your coffee free from plastic taste or smell and you can plant your cup at the end of its life to biodegrade. Some cafes will even give you a discount when you bring your own cup – bonus!
4. Cutlery, Straws & Napkins
Planning a party or dinner party? The ever-stylish Belgain Eco-linen Napkins from Foraged Byron Bay are a beautiful addition to your tableware. Available in a variety of colours which you can mix and match or flow through. Although this isn’t replacing a plastic product we still thought it best to highlight this gorgeous product as an alternative to throw away serviettes.
A Good Scout LOVES the Cutlery Wrap Set by Tread Lightly. A set of bamboo cutlery, a stainless steel straw and a cleaner set all wrapped up in a handmade cutlery wrap. Perfect to take to work, school or on camping trips, so you can avoid plastic cutlery and straws for good! So beautifully presented too – great gift idea.
Stainless steel straw sets are another great gift option and for some reason make morning smoothies taste even better, go figure! We have a few to choose from on the website Tread Lightly and Perky By Nature have a few options.
5. Gift Cards - A Good Scout offers a variety of beautiful and stylish gifts, homewares and lifestyle products. When giving gifts the part that is sometimes overlooked or maybe left to the last minute is the card, can you relate? A mad rush ensues to the local post-office to make a choice on a limited array of lacklustre cards that often come in plastic or have plastic bits and pieces on them and somehow always looks like an afterthought. If this sounds at all familiar, we have a solution for you! A Good Scout stocks Earth Greetings individual & sets of gift cards. There is so much to LOVE about this company and everything they stand for. Every aspect of the production process is thoughtfully attended to by Earth Greetings. The energy efficient printing, the reduced water usage, the vegetable-based inks, the 100% post-consumer recycled paper and the zero waste packaging.
Plastic Free July
This month is Plastic Free July and this initiative encourages people to be more aware of their plastic use, to create a cleaner world for generations to come.
Part of this involves supporting behaviour change and helping and supporting others to create new habits. Check out their hashtags #plasticfreejuly and #choosetorefuse and also their website for great resources and support for reducing and eliminating plastic use and making better choices.
My 10 year old son recently wrote “I don’t want to live in a garbage patch – do you?!” This hit me right in the heart, because if we don’t change that is what’s going to happen. Let’s make great choices for the sake of our planet and our future generations.
Please note that all products sold on A Good Scout have a Zero Waste ethos, not just the plastic alternatives listed above. Whether it is the materials they are made out of or the packaging they are sent in. Our vendors and products have been selected for their low impact and sustainable practise and approach.